Friday, April 22, 2011

Coyotes on the Move?

Are the Coyotes on the move?  And more importantly, does anyone outside of Phoenix and Gary Bettman really care?  In fact does anyone other than the Coyotes' few loyal fans care?  I know these are a lot of questions but I think the answers are fairly obvious.

According to ESPN's attendance stats the Phoenix Coyotes ranked 29th in the league in 2010-2011, behind only the lowly New York Islanders.  The Yotes averaged only 12,208 fans per game, not to mention their low regional TV ratings.  I think the fact that anyone shows up for a game means that there are loyal fans, all sports teams have them, but there just aren't enough.  And I for one feel sorry for the few loyal fans that they do have because they're the ones that get screwed.

Now for the inevitable move.  I have to ask, why Winnipeg?  Even the Yotes goalie, franchise player, and soon to be UFA Ilya Bryzgalov says that he won't be back if it means going to Winnipeg.  He'd rather go back to Russia!  How is Winnipeg going to attract free agents?  We all know what the players and Chris Pronger's wife thinks of living in Edmonton and at least they have the mountains a few hours away. 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Winnipeg.  In fact, I'm sure the 15,000 seat MTS Centre is a beautiful facility.  When they fill that arena to capacity they will move up the attendance rankings to 24th, just ahead of the New Jersey Devils.

So call me sceptical, but I feel the Coyotes are on the move but it likely pains Bettman to see them move to Winnipeg.  He wants to keep any US TV ratings he can to cover all regions.  This writer thinks that a move to the Peg will simply be a move out of desperation because there is no other logical destination.  But hey, at least they will be 5 spots higher in attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment