Saturday, April 23, 2011

Soft Spot For Sabres

So here's a quick history of my alliances.  I grew a Canucks fan because I grew up in Calgary as a kid and everyone around me was a Flames fan....so naturally I had to be different.  After I finally settled in Toronto about 15 years ago, I couldn't help but shift my alliance.  So here I am a suffering Leafs fan and nothing to show for it.  Maybe that's why I'm taking a little pleasure in watching Lou struggle, but that's for another post.

As a Leafs fan, I detest the Habs and the Sens.  I should also want to see the Flyers give a pounding to the Sabres but for some reason I find myself rooting the other way.  I think I have a soft spot for Sabres fans.  They are loyal despite never winning a Cup, they live and breathe their sports teams and are unapologetic for it.  There is something admirable about that. 

I'd like to see the Sabres move on for at least another round.  They are good team and I actually picked some of them in my playoff pool.  Are they a Cup team?  I don't think so but they'll try their hardest to change that.  They could surprise a few teams as they are the Flyers.  And don't forget, they finished the season off hot and didn't even let teams like the Leafs get a sniff. 

So let the Bruins take care of the Habs, but if they meet the Sabres in the second I'll be quietly rooting for our cross-border neighbours.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment